The client’s previous website was developed with the WooCommerce engine. Stores running on open-source solutions, to which WooCommerce belongs, very quickly begin generating problems if they are not regularly maintained, developed, and updated. The same happened to the Coco de Mer store.
We started the migration process with a discovery workshop, during which we established a list of requirements and functionalities that we wanted to move from the existing website. Our team provided recommendations for solutions.
The website design has been prepared based on the brand identity system and a ready-made template to speed up the work. In the next step, we added the necessary applications and integrations.
Migration of a working store with high traffic always brings some technological challenges. In the case of migration from WooCommerce, we had to address some interesting issues:
– writing a script to export existing users and product to a format supported by Shopify imports
– migrating active discount coupons for customer groups and individual customers
– reorganizing collections and product tagging
– activating user accounts after migration
– creating from scratch templates for nearly 30 different email notifications
– implementing a dedicated system to filter products, changing the default filtering logic used by Shopify
On the first day after launch, the site appeared organically at the top of Google searches for the store name, whereas before, it wasn’t even on the first page. The site’s speed has improved, and the average page load time has decreased by nearly five times. The client liked the look and simplicity of it. We also managed to improve the operational side of the e-commerce site management.
Search engine optimization is a great way of getting more traffic to a Shopify store, and that gives us a chance of improving conversion rates. A strong site in terms of SEO leads to more clients, more recognition and a better reputation. To improve the technical side of site optimization, you might want to hire a specialist. If you need help in that area, contact us, and we can help you.